Saturday, 10 November 2012

Drop Spindle and Needle Felting

Today was the Fall Fibre Day at Circle R Ranch. It was a long day, but really fun and I learned so much!

Getting there was... an adventure. I didn't realized how far it was, but luckily I was going with my mom and she knew where she was going. With the help of the trusty GPS, we got there after about an hour and a half. The event was actually held in their outdoor centre, which was a good drive up skinny, muddy pathways. The place was very well organized, with many things for sale.

I first took part in the drop spindle workshop. It was taught by my Aunt, my mom's triplet sister. She was a really great teacher who didn't mind that I really didn't know what I was doing. We got a good chance to try with different kinds of fibre, and by the end of it we all went home with our own little bit of yarn. I'm definitely going to try drop spindle spinning in the future.

I also tried my hand at needle felting. I was surprised that in just over an hour I went home with a super cute ornament with a little snowman on it. I've always been interested in needle felting (stabbing things over and over again? of course!). I finally tried it out and I have to say - I've already caught the bug!

Overall, the day was really fun and I learned a lot. I can't wait to see what Christmas presents I can make from this!

No comments: