Tuesday, 11 December 2012

When It Rains, It Pours

Yesterday was a difficult day, to say the least. Besides the fact that I wrote a killer accounting exam - I also lost everything I've ever saved on my laptop.

I came home after I finished my exam, and decided to give the dog a bath before I study for the exam I had today. The thing about my dog is that he doesn't get baths as often as he should, but he gets really (I mean REALLY) excited after. It's almost as if he completely reverts to puppy form. He runs around the house like a mad dog, jumping and smashing everything.

Disaster strikes. I'm sitting on the couch with my laptop reading some study notes and hanging out with my family. Crazy dog runs into the room, leaps over the arm of the couch, and lands directly on my computer. It crashes to the ground, and never turns on again.

I'm sitting there, freaking out about all my lost notes, so my dad gets up and tries to console me. He promptly gets dizzy, and runs to the bathroom. Before he makes it, I hear a crash and he is out cold on the floor. I called EMS immediately, but he wakes up before they get here. They run a whole bunch of tests and basically say he got up too fast and that everything is okay.

I thank my lucky stars that he's okay.

I take my computer in this morning to my local repairshop (who know me by name because I'm so technologically impaired). Four hours later, I get a phone call. There's nothing they can do - the hard drive is gone and nothing can be salvaged.

I'm an idiot. I haven't backed up my computer in almost a year. I type up all my notes but didn't think to email them to anyone. I have three more exams this week. I had over ten thousand songs on that laptop - none of which are currently on my ipod. I've taken so many pictures over the last year, and only a handful of them are on facebook. I had a huge chunk of my novel and hundreds of personal journals.

Moral of the story: Always always ALWAYS back up your stuff! Don't be like me. It sucks.

1 comment:

Pamela Marlene said...

that's really hard, I'm so sorry you had such a rough day!