Tuesday, 11 November 2014

The Most Basic of Basic Tips

Originally posted October 21, 2014

Music is my life. I eat, breathe, sleep, and live music and everything that comes with it.   I love musicians. They're my favourite types of people and I often surround myself with them. Maybe I got it from my dad, who often worships Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, or maybe it just happened when I fell in love with David Bowie for the first time.   I've also learned that many musicians, while great musicians and performers, don't understand anything to do with basic social media promotions. I've seen musicians without facebook pages, ones who fight with fans, ones who post wildly inappropriate (usually racist or sexist) things, and ones who just don't post. My biggest pet peeve when I was creating the #KOIFest14 mobile app was bands that didn't have any information anywhere. I mean, so many bands didn't have pictures, biographies, websites, social media pages, or even basic hometown information.   My basic tips for small, independent bands aren't that difficult, and I honestly can't believe they aren't common sense.
  1. Create social media pages. These include a facebook page, a twitter page, a youtube channel, and an instagram page. If you have a cool band name, you'll want to snap these up before someone else does. You also want these to all be under the same name if you can, it'll make everything so much easier.
  2. Take some good pictures. Put them on the social media pages you just created. Any pictures are better than no pictures. It helps to personalize the band, and despite what might be ideal, image does matter. It's nice to be able to put a name to the music, especially if I want to see your band live sometime.
  3. Fill out the boxes. If I'm just discovering your band, I want to see where you're from, what kind of genre your band is, upcoming shows, and the names of the band members. I like learning about new music, and I love going to shows so much that if I even like you a little bit, I might just come out to a show.
  4. Keep it updated! You'd be surprised how many bands just don't bother. I want to see what you've been up to recently, I want to see updates, and I especially want to see new music.
  I'm a fan first, and I only want to see my favourite bands succeed. Keep your eyes peeled for more tips I've learned through my adventures in music and social media marketing.

No comments: