Monday, 8 December 2014

Tumblr and Teens

If you haven't heard - Tumblr is the fastest growing social network right now, ahead of Instagram and Pinterest.

I joined Tumblr over 4 years ago, quickly falling in love with the simplicity and design of it. I was easily able to craft my own blog, reblogging content I loved and posting my own pictures and favourite content. Tumblr skews young - it was perfect when I was 19 and super interested in the alternative subcultures that I didn't get to see in the local mall.

I started following queer authors and feminists, social justice leaders and activists. Finally, my eyes were opened to different situations outside my small suburb in Waterloo.

Businesses have finally gotten on board; I now see advertisements for McDonalds and Taco Bell on my dashboard. Bands have Tumblrs, and even Laurier has gotten involved with the platform.

Tumblr skews very young, and I find myself becoming more and more uninterested and more and more out-of-the-loop. So many of the popular jokes are about highschool, and here I am finishing my undergraduate degree.

It's a weird feeling growing out of a social network. It's only been a couple years, but I guess I'm growing out of Tumblr and into LinkedIn.

What a weird feeling.

No comments: